Hertz Brings Car Sharing To San Diego Navy Bases
Hertz On Demand Partners with NEXCOM to Bring Transportation Option to Sailors
Sep 11, 2012
PARK RIDGE, N.J., Sept. 11, 2012 /PRNewswire/ -- The Hertz Corporation (NYSE: HTZ) has partnered with the Navy Exchange Service Command (NEXCOM) to bring Hertz On Demand car sharing to 14 locations on three military bases in the San Diego area: Naval Air Station North Island, Naval Amphibious Base Coronado and Naval Base San Diego. To celebrate the launch, Hertz on Demand is offering new members, signing up through December 31, 2012 $25 in free driving credits.
"U.S. Navy ships dock in San Diego from all over the world and not every Sailor and Marine has a car," commented Mark P. Frissora, Hertz Chairman and Chief Executive Officer. "By providing Hertz On Demand car sharing services, members of the U.S. military, especially those not stationed at the various ports, will have quick and easy access to a vehicle whenever they need it."
The latest in a series programs focused on providing value to members of the military, the pay-as-you-go service will now offer military members an economical, convenient and socially conscious alternative to car ownership. The car sharing service provides 24/7 access to 17 vehicles, including Chevy Cruze, Mazda 2 or Ford Escape. Sailors can sign up for Hertz On Demand in advance or visit the Hertz location on base to for instant enrollment.
"As good stewards of Sailors' dollars, NEXCOM is always looking for new initiatives to make our Sailors' lives easier, especially a Fleet Sailor just arriving in port," said Richard Dow, NEXCOM's Senior Vice President, Store Operations.
About Hertz On Demand
Hertz On Demand, Hertz's global car sharing club, has more than 650 vehicles, 150,000 members and more than 500 locations worldwide, including corporate offices and universities. Hertz On Demand offers a variety of vehicles available at competitive rates. All cars are equipped with Eileo® technology, and benefits covered by the hourly rate include gas, insurance, GPS turn-by-turn navigation, 24/7 roadside assistance, 24-hour in-car Member Care Center communication, and 180 free miles per day.
Hertz On Demand has approximately 150,000 members, is available in five countries and on approximately 50 university campuses. Hertz On Demand offers its members products and services that are unmatched in the car sharing industry, including:
- Free membership. Hertz On Demand has no enrollment fee or annual membership fee, and offers low hourly and daily rates.
- Rental fleet options. These include the Mercedes C300, Cadillac CTS, Fiat 500, Mitsubishi Endeavor, Nissan Altima, Chevy Cruze, Chevy Malibu, Mazda 2, Mazda 3 and Jeep Patriot.
- 180 miles a day, gas and insurance included in rates.
- No late fees. Hertz On Demand members will not receive punitive charges/late fees for the late return of a vehicle.
- Daily rates on Hertz rental car for longer trips.
- Simplified reservation process. HertzOnDemand.com has a simple reservation process, including one way map routing and reservations, enhanced search capabilities, and in-depth details about car makes and models; Additionally, Hertz On Demand now offers a new mobile website, mobile.hertzondemand.com and m.hertzondemand.com that allows members to make, modify, and cancel reservations.
- Unparalleled member service. Including Hertz NeverLost GPS and 24/7, 365 days-a-year, live, in-car assistance from a team of Hertz Member Care experts, both available free of charge.
- Enrollment in Hertz Gold Plus Rewards. Hertz On Demand members are eligible to enroll in Hertz Gold Plus Rewards™, Hertz's free rewards program that provides customers with a range of flexible rewards including Points that never expire, 'AnyDay' reward options with no blackouts, easy online redemption, international point accrual, and a wide variety of car rewards including cars from any of Hertz's Collections -- the Adrenaline, Green Traveler, and Prestige Collections. (Hertz On Demand members must be a member of Hertz Gold to earn Gold Plus Rewards Points).
Hertz is dedicated to honoring those serving in the military. In November 2011, the company launched Hertz for Heroes, Hertz's commitment to provide 40,000 Free Weekend Rentals, at an estimated value of $3 million, to active military personnel returning from overseas duty. Hertz partnered with the NDTA, the Association for Global Logistics & Transportation, a non-profit educational, defense transportation-oriented association, to distribute the vouchers through various military channels and organizations. The program now includes the company's military hiring portal, http://hertz.jobs/military/, which allows veterans and their family members to view and apply for Hertz jobs across all company divisions – Rent A Car, Equipment Rental, Entertainment Services, Hertz On Demand car sharing, and corporate positions. The site includes a list of military recruiting events the Company attends for those interested in meeting in person.
Hertz also participates in the White House's Veteran's Hiring Initiative, Joining Forces, and is committed to hiring hundreds of veterans over the coming years. Led by the First Lady and Dr. Jill Biden, the initiative is a job creation coalition for the armed forces, focusing on military spouses and returning veterans, and Hertz actively recruits from this highly employable and mobile work force base. Hertz has also worked with Milicruit to hold a nationwide virtual career fair for veterans and available positions are posted on a dozen veteran sites, including HireVetsFirst, RecruitMilitary, HirePatriots, and Military.com.
Hertz, the largest worldwide airport general use car rental brand, operates from approximately 8,650 corporate and licensee locations in approximately 150 countries. Hertz is the number one airport car rental brand in the U.S. and at 119 major airports in Europe. Hertz was voted the Best Overall Car Rental Company in Zagat's 2012/13 U.S. Car Rental Survey, earning top honors in 14 additional categories, and the Company swept the global awards for Best Rewards Program and Best Overall Benefits from FlyerTalk.com. Product and service initiatives such as Hertz Gold Choice, NeverLost®, and unique cars and SUVs offered through the Company's Adrenaline, Prestige and Green Traveler Collections, also set Hertz apart from the competition. Additionally, Hertz owns the vehicle leasing and fleet management leader Donlen Corporation and operates the Hertz On Demand car sharing business. The Company also owns a leading North American equipment rental business, Hertz Equipment Rental Corporation, which includes Hertz Entertainment Services.
The Navy Exchange Service Command (NEXCOM) oversees 100 Navy Exchange (NEX) facilities and nearly 300 stores worldwide, 40 Navy Lodges, Ship's Stores, the Uniform Program Management Office, the Navy Clothing Textile and Research Facility and the Telecommunications Program Office. NEXCOM's parent command is the Naval Supply Systems Command. NEXCOM's mission is to provide authorized customers quality goods and services at a savings and to support quality of life programs for active duty military, retirees, reservists and their families. NEXs and Navy Lodges operate primarily as a non-appropriated fund (NAF) business instrumentality. NEX revenues generated are used to support Morale, Welfare, and Recreation (MWR) programs. In FY11, $2.7 billion in sales were generated with $42.8 million in dividends provided to Navy MWR programs.
 Per 24 hour period
 Late returns will only be charged rates for the additional time used in 15 minute intervals (no punitive fees)
SOURCE The Hertz Corporation
For further information: Paula Rivera, +1-201-307-2824, [email protected]